Saturday 12 September 2009

The Regal - Cambridge





Visited 29th August 2009.


A friend of mine asked if I could help him out by collecting two arcade games machines that he had purchased on eBay. I would like to say that I immediately offered to help but memories of the last time I helped him to move a very large, heavy sofa from the fourth floor of a block of flats where the lifts were to small for it came flooding back, along with an instant backache!
"I'll buy you lunch", he said, "at a Wetherspoons, if there's one nearby".
So, into the van and off to Cambridge where he acquired two linked racing machines without to much sweating and then a short ride into town. And back out again as we couldn't find anywhere to park. About a mile and a half away we found a side street to park in (pay and display) that would let us stay for more than an hour. As you can probably guess from the photos I'm not big on walking, but needs must and all that...
What can I say, it was worth it. The picture house frontage, the doors and film posters, I loved it. As with many Wetherspoon pubs it is a lot, lot bigger on the inside than it appears on the outside. Inside we have a DJ box, high ceilings, sweeping staircases, nice toilets and a lot of people. I had a long look around the place, even out the back and really like it. The bar staff were well trained and very efficient with just the right amount of friendliness and humour thrown in. I noticed a few people seemed to be oddly dressed (grass skirts) and found that there was going to be a Hawaiian beach party that evening. I'm sorry to say we had to leave before it started but if I had known before hand I may have been tempted into dusting off my own, somewhat tatty grass skirt and coconuts.
For me the place is not "just around the corner" but even so I could easily be talked into a return visit.

© John Sinner. None of the material contained in this post, or this blog as a whole, may be reproduced without the express and written permission of John Sinner. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment