Sunday 11 October 2009

The William Morris - London, Hammersmith



Visited 3rd October 2009.


Our London adventure continues. Let me get one thing straight, just so you're clear. This blog was never intended to be a guide or critique of Wetherspoon pubs. That would be far to grand. It is basically a reminder of where I have been so I don't accidentally visit any twice. I may jot down a little information on parking, or what I drank because if I do decide to revisit one I don't want to spend hours looking for a space or find they have no beer!
But, this one I will definitely avoid. Which is a shame as the pub itself is fine, large and with a dark interior theme which I like. The girl who served us at the bar was pleasant and service was relatively quick. So where did it all go wrong. Two things really. The loos and the food. I (and I know I'm not alone this) will often judge a place on it's loos. Wetherspoon pubs have very good loos but why would whoever put the paper in the stalls put all of the toilet rolls on the floor. They didn't do it in the ladies so why do it in the gents where it's almost certainly going to become unusable!
Secondly, the food. We were all hungry so ordered as soon as we arrived. One of the things I like about Wetherspoon is the consistency of the food quality. It has been pretty much the same in all of the pubs visited so far. You order a burger, you know what you are going to get. Not at the William Morris. I was very hungry and ordered a Gourmet Burger with an extra burger. Both burgers were burnt, very burnt, charcoaled even. The cheese sauce was missing entirely as was a rasher of bacon (the menu states bacon slices - plural). Everywhere else I've eaten I've always received two slices of bacon... consistency you see. And did I mention the burgers were burnt!!! I got chatting to a chap who said he was in there most days and that he wouldn't touch the food they served and especially not the breakfasts. I must also mention the steak and kidney pudding on the new menu. It looks very nice. A member of our little dinning group ordered one. When it arrived it had about half a tea spoon of gravy in it and a lot of air. She sent it back and had a curry instead. To be fair on this it may be that we were unlucky on the pudding and just got a duff one. We will be trying out the steak and kidney pudding again but definitely not at the William Morris.

© John Sinner. None of the material contained in this post, or this blog as a whole, may be reproduced without the express and written permission of John Sinner. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment