Sunday 30 October 2011

The Angel - London, Islington
















Visited 25th October 2011.

As I am currently between jobs it seemed like an ideal opportunity to spend a couple of days visiting a few 'spoons. A couple of friends had a little spare time and also enjoy a beer so once again I'm off to London. It was quite frustrating that I had knowingly passed two 'spoons on the way to the 'Waggy Walk' a couple of weeks ago without being able to stop. Time to rectify that. I met up with one of my friends at Paddington and from there we set off to Angel tube station. When we arrived we found that one of the up escalators wasn't working and the the second was very congested. "Let's walk up the broken one", said my friend. I set off after her and was already about twenty steps up it before I happened to look up and see an escalator that seemed to go on forever. I had recently watched 'A Matter of Life and Death' and was immediately reminded of the escalator to the other world, which coincidentally is where I thought I might end up if I carried on climbing. Of course it would be far to embarrassing to turn round and go down again... I've just looked it up on Wikipedia, "
Angel has the third longest escalators in Western Europe". Fortunately 'The Angel' is almost right outside the tube entrance and so it with burning knees and a heart beating like a humming bird that I entered and immediately collapsed into a very inviting looking chair. It was several minutes before I felt able to approach the bar where a very attractive lady with a great sense of fashion complemented me on my T-shirt before serving me with a pint of 'Naked Gold' and a pint of Heineken for my friend. It took a while but eventually we had recovered enough to set off for the next pub, which our friendly barmaid had promised was only a very short walk away.


© John Sinner. None of the material contained in this post, or this blog as a whole, may be reproduced without the express and written permission of John Sinner. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment